As we continue with our new year, we will be launching the VAC with a big bang– that means, more artist interviews, more events to look forward to, and of course, MORE VENICE ART!
Check out this interview that VAC board member Nicole Muyingo conducted with Venice Based Artist, Mark X Farina!
1. Who are you and what do you do?
Mark X Farina- Pop Artist, Reverse Engineer, Roma Gypsy.
2. In your words how would you define art?
Anything that sparks a reaction.
3. At what age did you realize that you were creatively talented?
I’m still not convinced I have any real talent, but I received a lot of art training, and I know I’m creative.
4. What’s your background?
Studied advertising and the media’s effects on people, but I love art and sports.
5. What materials/paints do you generally work with?
6. What art do you most identify with?
The conceptual scene that formed from the 1960’s – that’s a big area, but I really sync with that era/ movement.
7. Describe a real-life situation that inspired you?
Took a phone shot of the beach sunset one night, then tried to paint it.
8. What is an artistic outlook on life?
Observe (often through dark sunglasses) and report.
9. What superpower would you have and why?
Wow that’s a great question with so many possible answers for me, but I still dream I can fly, not very well, which sometimes abruptly wakes me up.
10. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
Not sure, I’m still exploring.
11. Name three artists you’d like to be compared to:
Moe, Larry and Curly.
12. WHAT is your ‘method’?
Work fast, cure slow, destroy before collecting dust.
13. What is your preferred subject and why?
I like gradations and innuendo.
14. What’s the best thing about being an artist?
Freedom of expression.
15. What’s the worst thing about being an artist?
16. What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
Do the work, open the door- if you make it, someone will check it out and let you know.
Check out more of Mark X Farina’s work on his website and tumblr!
Photo Credit: Mark X Farina